August 14, 2019
A Letter to AUSD Staff and Community
Superintendent, Dr. Frank Wells
Dear AUSD Staff and Community:
It was with great excitement and enthusiasm that I accepted the offer to serve the Albany Unified School District as Superintendent of Schools, effective July 1. In the short time that I have served, I have received such a warm and gracious welcome from this community; one which impresses me with your great sense of pride and purpose; one which I am now honored to call my new home. I am deeply grateful for the privilege to serve you, and I look forward to meeting you and, in partnership with our dedicated staff, engaging in the great task of educating our young people.
I am absolutely delighted to learn more about your hard work, creative initiative, and collaborative efforts in developing and implementing a strategic plan to include all of the construction efforts and classroom expansions at Ocean View Elementary, Marin Elementary, Albany Middle, and Albany High schools. Although Cornell Elementary is not currently included in the bond expansion project, it is recognized, like the other schools, for many achievements, including the outstanding student academic performance on both statewide and local academic assessments.
Community pride, purpose, and strong sense of place are evident in all I have learned about the honors and accomplishments in our district, including the following:
- the Albany’s Children Center, earning a superior 5-Star rating, the highest academic marks possible
- all three elementary, middle and high school superior statewide academic achievements
- the high school chess competitions
- Albany High Speech and Debate achievement at Stanford
- the highest finish of the High School Science Olympiad team
- the Stock Market placement of the high school students
- the number of high school students receiving awards to study abroad and acceptance to attend the top universities in the country
- the musical accolades received by the ensembles, bands, and orchestra
- the many achievements in sports competitions in Soccer, Volleyball, Wrestling and Track.
Congratulations to all!
I am committed to working with you in raising the bar of excellence and attainment for all students in Albany while closing and eliminating the achievement gap. I believe to my core that all students can achieve. Furthermore, I believe that one of our greatest callings in education is to not only empower our students academically, but also to develop their emotional intellect and overall well-being.
Finally, I commit to bringing whatever sense of humor I possess, and a positive, can-do attitude to all I do. We have a great and honorable task ahead. I look forward to the community effort in addressing our work together.
With Much Love and Appreciation,
Frank Wells, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools